How is it holiday season already?!
For many, 2020 has seemed like the longest and shortest year of their life. It’s almost as if in the beginning of March pause was pressed on a remote and everyone began floating in space, then suddenly the play button was pressed and we hit the ground running. Now, here we are entering the busiest time of the year for the retail industry.
Did you know seasonal sales make up 19.4% of the retail industry sales?
To say holiday planning is important would be an understatement.
We at Professional Salon Concepts want to share some important ideas and strategies for your 2020 holiday season in 3 different categories:
- Promotions & Products
The best marketing is word of mouth, right? Wrong. Well, at least not when it comes to holiday sales.
Two important marketing strategies we encourage you to focus on this year includes both social media and email marketing. You may be rolling your eyes, but we assure you these are the top two channels that deliver the highest return on investment.
Social media is the dominant marketing channel when it comes to attracting customers, generating engagement and ultimately, driving sales during –and even outside –of the holidays. A study by digital marketing agency ODM Group discovered that 74% of consumers make purchasing decisions using social media.
Here are some tangible ways to utilize your social media in your holiday strategy:
- Shoot a quick video introducing your holiday kits and what is inside (Splice is a great app to edit quick videos and make look much more appealing)
- Have your team share their favorite “how-to” holiday styles
- Run a contest with a gift box price and holiday style with any of your stylists working on building their clientele. (make sure to have 2-4 tag requirements to enter, have each person follow your account to enter, etc.)
- Share a cute video on the importance of shopping local
- Offer curbside pickup
- Make gift suggestions
- Promote online gift card purchases
Promotions & Products
Holiday promotions increase the likelihood a client will purchase during the holiday season. According to a 2018 holiday survey by the NRF, 3 in 4 consumers report that sales and promotions are either very or extremely important to them. The majority of shoppers say a third or more of their purchases are discounted items.
Your shoppers are willing to wait for a deal. Interestingly enough the National Retail Federation article also states, “85% of consumers said they’ve backed out of purchasing an item because it wasn’t on sale – even if they really wanted it.”
For these reasons, among many others it is imperative you are offering sales influencing promotions within your salon. Think like your customer and be willing to get creative:
Here are some of our favorite alternative ideas to create holiday sales momentum through promotions in your salon:
- Mix & Match: If a guest would like a different holiday box kit, break apart holiday boxes and allow your guest to mix and match to create their own holiday box offering a buy 2 get 1 of any retail sized product.
- Gift Card GWP: Create a gift with purchase on gift cards! For example: a client purchases a holiday box and receives 25% any gift card purchase
- Gift Card Power: Any value-adding offer around gift cards is a great strategy! According to the Hustle, “At any given time, 10% to 19% of gift card balances remain unredeemed.”
- Promotion and Experience: use holiday decorations as a part of “winning” a percentage off a service or product. For example: have a Christmas tree decorated with ornaments giving 5% off, 10% off, $2, $5, etc. on the bottom of the ornament. The client points to the ornament they choose at check-out to be pleasantly surprised.
- Secret Santa: Have your clients create a wish list or services or products and then have your front desk team email their significant other/parent.
- Personal Shoppers: Have your team go through your promotions with your clients and their list of people to buy for, giving customer recommendations.
- 12 Days of Giveaways: Create a special offer for the 12 days leading up to Christmas, this could be a percentage off a specific treatment, travel sized stocking stuffers, gifts for him, etc.
Holiday events look very different this year. However, that does not mean they have to feel different. What makes the holiday season such a special time of the year is the energy, the spirit, the smiles, and the joy of giving.
Even though we cannot be in person this year for big events, we can get creative about making them virtual and still enjoying company with one another.
We have put together a list of great holiday client appreciation ideas for you to enjoy!
- Schedule a client appreciation week including raffle prizes, % off retail, and special upgraded services.
- Host a virtual event for live entertainment and self-care this holiday season.
- Create VIP retail previews and custom virtual consultations for the clients upcoming event.
- Hire a bartender to teach your virtual event attendees how to make a great and easy holiday cocktail that is sure to wow their holiday guests
- Have a great referral bonus to capitalize on your busiest time of year.
- Incentivize pre-booking in January and February to all in person guest and virtual event attendees.
You may also be thinking about your holiday business party and how to celebrate with your team this year…well here are some great suggestions for you to enjoy!
- Have Secret Santa, but this year with a no contact drop off to each stylist/team members’ home.
- Hire a local comedian for your virtual team event and enjoy great laughs together.
- Gift each team member a bottle of their favorite wine to enjoy during the virtual team event.
- If choosing to have an in-salon party and social distance make sure to cover Ubers/Lyfts home as needed
We hope you enjoyed this list of ideas and you are able to take something from it. We have also created a free Salon Virtual Event Checklist to help guide you to a beautifully executed event.
We at Professional Salon Concepts are here to support your salon’s growth ensuring your business’ sustainable success.
Request a Call
Steve, Terri, & your PSC Family
P.S. Interested in learning more about how you and your salon team grow?
Our team is standing by, excited to learn about your vision and how we can help you achieve your goals.
Speak with one of our knowledgeable Salon Consultants about education, sustainable brands to partner within your salon, and/or salon coaching through requesting a call today.